Thursday, September 22, 2016

The City's Heart (a duet)


There's no need to ask around,
There ain't no love in heart of town.
No love in this, the heart of city,
Tenants, we, are much too gritty.

There ain't no love in city's heart.
Before it's dark, you should depart.
No love in this ole place, my town.
You really should've asked around.

Ask or don't ask? Dude, which is it?
Can't a man come for a visit?
So that I may come and see,
This town in all its finery.

Yet you treat me like a foe,
And say that I just ought to go.
No love is here, in heart of city.
Tenants, you, are ones to pity.

Don't come here making all that noise!
These boroughs you had best avoid!
You caught me on a patient day,
But you had best be on your way!

The sun is setting oh so fast.
And through a night, you cannot last.
We tenants here are tough and gritty,
Need to be in this, my city.

Bravado proves your words as bogus,
'N too naive to even know this.
Tough as nails, that makes you weak.
When king.i.am, things weren't so bleak.

There was love in these here streets.
These boulevards were so replete.
Our elders with respect we'd greet,
'N thoroughfares pulsed with the beat...

Of one this drum of world renown.
The rightful ruler wore the crown.
And there was love here all around
Before you kids took over town.

Dude now you are much too old!
These streets have always been this cold!
If this the place you're truly from,
You'd know there's never been a drum.

There was sun before the rain.
Before you came, there was no pain.
Pretenders to my rightful throne.
How derelict my city's grown.

You think you stay, you're passing through,
And I will be outlasting you.
Bones decay and turn to dust,
But golden that which does not rust.

When king.i.am, we weren't so weak,
We bowed our heads and swept these streets.
We weren't afraid they'd call us soft,
‘Cause paper always beats the rock.

I'll take my scissors, cut you up!
You know that I don't give a #@$!
You don't know how much you care,
So scared that others won't beware...

And see your bark is lacking bite,
I did not come here for a fight.
The toughest shell, proves weak inside,
True strength is that which softness hides.

Because I know the king.i.am,
And you're a boy, pretending man.
And hoping no one would find out.
That in these streets you're losing clout.

It's almost time for me to reign,
And that's the reason that I came.
Restart the pulse that should resound
The love in this, the heart of town.

No comments:

Post a Comment