Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Worthless things

Why do I wish you
worthless things?
Like counterfeit coins
and charcoal rings.
A life of comfort,
pleasure, ease.
Opposite
of what we need.

The world is drowning,
I use the hand.
And build up castles
out of sand.
Before the tide
they cannot stand.
What a blind,
nearsighted plan!

I give you candy
instead of food.
To temporarily
uplift your mood.
To make us spoiled,
lazy, fat.
Why do they applaud me
for doing that?

The Chef serves veggies,
fruits, and grains.
How we kick
and scream, complain.

The Lords of Justice
raise their spears.
How we shudder and quake
with fear.

We flee from discipline,
wanting ease.
Opposite
of what we need.
Three times repent
announcer sings.
Why do I wish you
worthless things?

Really, I must be
so confused.
To give you candy
instead of food.
To temporarily
uplift your mood.
Meanwhile starving
for the truth.

I'm so deficient.
I'm ill-equipped.
It's daunting
and I want to quit.
I'm just about
to throw a fit.
And then I get
a sense of this:

Inside the heart,
a tiny the seed
unfolds into
a bodhi tree.
Not one that naked
eyes can see.
The One Heart steady
constantly.

Why not wish you
priceless things?
Like heat.
Like pressure.
Like diamond rings.
Duress and stress
and bitter dreams.
To wake us faster
to the mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment